Blogger Backgrounds

Watch Owen Houston Nelson Grow!

Watch Olivia Rose Grow!!!

Wednesday, October 20, 2010


It has been a pretty crappy week – so let me jump right into all of that and fill you in. As some of you already know, I spent Wednesday – Sunday of this past week in the hospital. It started with some severe stomach pains on Wednesday afternoon. (I originally thought I must have eaten some gluten or something.) I wound up leaving work around 4pm to head home because I could not work with the pain. After about 10-15 minutes of driving home (on I-40), the pain became so severe that apparently my breathing became shallow – which caused my arms and legs to go numb – like dead weights. My hands and feet started to curl inward and I became very aware that I was not going to make it home – it was not safe to drive anywhere at that point. So I pulled over and called 911 and had an ambulance come get me and take me to the hospital.

Needless to say, after going through triage, they admitted me to the hospital. I had more blood taken during my visit then I thought my body could hold, lots of *other* samples taken, a CT scan, an MRA and a Flex Sig (a shorter colonoscopy). I was told that I had Colitis – and they suspected Ischemic Colitis (meaning there wasn’t enough blood flowing to my colon). However, this is a little strange since only elderly people tend to get Ischemic Colitis. The Doc at the hospital’s best guess is that somewhere in my body is throwing out blood clots and they are going to my bowel, wreaking havoc then passing through before they can see them – but even that is farfetched. Anyway, with still a bunch of questions to be answered, I finally got out of there on Sunday. Thanks to all that visited, called and had me in their prayers. And a special thanks to my parents for coming up to help out with Olivia for the weekend and to Sara and Randy for helping with Olivia on Wed and Thurs nights. It really meant a lot to us!

I have since been to my regular GI specialist from Duke (today) and they took even more blood. She is going to go back and do an additional Flex Sig on Monday because the biopsy results from the hospital still leave a lot of questions. So, hopefully they will be able to figure this out – but we may need to consult with Dr. House to get to the bottom of it.

On an upside, I may not have Celiac Disease after all. This episode was not related to that or consistent with that diagnosis and since this is similar to my previous 2 episodes (that led to the diagnosis by a different doc), this may be the culprit all along. Hopefully they can get this figured out and fix it and then resolve me of my Celiac Diagnosis so I can go on living my life like a well adjusted person (ok, *somewhat* well adjusted!).

So, I just wanted to give you all an update of how I am doing at this point. I am doing better, still a bit slow and nauseous – but definitely on the mend. I am looking forward to finding out what is going on with my digestive system and we have made this our priority.

No comments: